It has been proven that the process of baking improves moods and the feeling of satisfaction gained when seeing the end product naturally enhances happiness.
As we head into October, a month when the hours of daylight shorten and temperatures start to dwindle this recipe for homemade healthy bread will prove to be a perfect one for all to enjoy.
Healthy Honey Oat Bread
Healthy honey oat bread, made with whole grain spelt flour and rolled oats. This simple loaf can be made year round, and easily made vegan with maple syrup.
PREP TIME 15 minutes
COOK TIME 40 minutes
RISING TIME 1 hour 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME 2 hours 25 minutes
• 60 ml / 1/4 cup warm water
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 2 1/4 teaspoon dry yeast, or 1/2 cube fresh
• 250 ml / 1 cup water, room temperature
• 3 tablespoons honey
• 100 grams / 1 cup organic regular rolled oats
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 350 - 400 grams / 3 - 3 1/2 cups whole grain spelt flour
- In a large bowl, stir together the 60 ml / 1/4 cup water and 1 teaspoon honey. Sprinkle the yeast overtop and set aside for 15 minutes, until the yeast is foaming.
- Stir the remaining water, honey, oats, salt, and about 100 grams / 1 cup of the flour into the bowl. Add the remaining flour 50 grams / 1/2 cup at a time, until it becomes too difficult to mix.
- Tip the dough out onto a well floured surface and knead, adding flour as required, for about 10 minutes, or until the dough is soft and pliable.
- Drizzle a little olive oil into the large bowl and place the kneaded dough back into it. Roll the dough around to coat it in the oil, then cover with a plate or tea towel and set in a warm, draft-free place to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Grease or line a standard bread tin. Once the dough has risen, gently punch it down. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and press into a rough rectangle, about 3cm / 1 inch thick and the length of your bread tin.
- Roll the dough up lengthwise. Scatter a good layer of oats onto your surface, then roll the dough in the oats to coat the outside. Place it into the greased bread tin. Cover with a tea towel and let it rise for another 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F. Once the dough has risen, bake on the centre rack for 35-40 minutes, or until a dark golden brown on the top. It should sound hollow when tapped.
- Tip the bread out of the tin and cool on a rack for an hour before slicing and serving. This bread keeps well if wrapped or in an airtight container at room temperature for three days.