"Veganuary" is a perfect time to try out some delicious and highly nutritious dishes.
Todays recipe only takes 15 minutes to cook.
Stir-fried tofu with pak choi
100g (3½oz) dried rice noodles or dried medium egg noodles (standard or wholewheat)
1 tsp cornflour
6 tbsp water (or homemade or reduced-salt vegetable stock)
2 tsp reduced-salt soy sauce
2 tsp smooth hot chilli (dipping) sauce or sweet chilli sauce
2 tsp rapeseed oil
4 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1cm (½in) piece of fresh root ginger, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped (optional)
1 red or orange pepper, deseeded and sliced
175g (6oz) firm (original) tofu (drained weight), drained and diced
140g (5oz) pak choi, shredded
85g (3oz) mangetout
1–2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (optional)
- Cook (or soak) noodles according to packet instructions. Drain well (rinse, if necessary). Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix cornflour with water until smooth. Stir in soy sauce and chilli sauce; set aside.
- Heat rapeseed oil in a non-stick wok. Add spring onions, red chilli, ginger and garlic (if using); stir-fry over a medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add red or orange pepper; stir-fry for 2–3 minutes.
- Add tofu; stir-fry for 4–5 minutes or until tofu is beginning to brown in places (stir-fry gently at this stage, being careful not to break up tofu).
- Add pak choi and mangetout; stir-fry for about 2 minutes or until vegetables are lightly cooked.
- Add cornflour mixture to wok; stir-fry over a medium heat for 1–2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbling.